St. Mary's the Virgin Church
For information about baptisms, weddings and funerals at St Mary’s please contact the vicar, Rev. John Harries on 01260 253945 or email email@example.com
Church Wardens are Neil Wain 01260 226131 or Alison Tottle 01260 226389
St Mary the Virgin Church is in the village of Bosley and is an active Anglican parish church. It is part of the Peak Parishes Benefice; which encompasses our neighbouring churches at Wincle, Wildboarclough & Sutton.
Our mission is to respond to the needs in our small, rural community - spiritual needs, pastoral care, social needs of activities & events and the need for marking life events.
We believe that our church building and its people are here for a reason; to share God’s teaching, receive his message of unconditional love and spread the Good News.
The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building. The church was originally dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket of Canterbury but later this was changed to St. Lawrence and then to St. Mary the Virgin. It was formerly a chapel of ease for Prestbury, and was granted the right to have a font and burial ground by Pope Boniface in a Papal Bull of 5 April 1402 as recorded at Lichfield. The parish registers go back to 1728 and the list of vicars to approximately 1596